Thursday, January 22

Generally Recognized as Safe?

Please check out the link below; who would actually consume something that has this label? I'm posting this as a reminder of how our country gets fed lies about what is healthy to eat. I don't want to get into a long ramble about it, but does it make much sense to consume things that companies have altered with god-knows-what chemicals?

http://www.fitsugar.com/2624479

I challenge you all to a goal for 2009 (and hopefully for life); start to really improve your diet. I don't know how healthy you already eat or don't eat, but I can guarantee that there are things in your diet that could and should be eliminated (or at least drastically reduced). CrossFit is a powerful, functional tool, but for a completely healthy lifestyle and true ELITE fitness, CrossFit must be accompanied by a very close friend...true, proper diet.

Depending on who you are and what your current diet is (i.e. kitchen habits), changing your diet even a little and really sticking to it can be quite a shock to your lifestyle. But it is something that is more important than anything else that you do. I'm sure you have heard someone say, "money can't buy you health". If we don't take action right now, right away, we might never do it. It's so easy to say you'll start tomorrow. Start right now. Now I know that changing a lifetime of bad eating habits can be quite hard for some. If it is, do like we do at CrossFit. Gradually work away at it. You didn't get your first pull-up right away so don't expect yourself to quit eating all refined sugars or bowls of pasta "cold turkey"! Work away at one thing for a week, then two weeks, then a month until it's no longer enticing. Then begin to change another bad eating habit and gradually cut it out. One item by one item we can cut all of the crap out of our diets and improve our health.

If you are not sure what might be bad within your current diet (and I guarantee some things would surprise you) please take a close look at two different eating plans. One is the Zone and the other is the Paleo Diet (or a mixture of the two). CrossFit wide, these are the two most popular diet plans (diet is just referring to the way that you eat, not deprivation, as most associate it with). They are the most popular because among thousands and thousands of people that are serious about true, functional health and fitness by doing CrossFit, they are also serious about eating in ways that work and are nothing but fantastic for their bodies. So please ask us about these diets or check-out one of our books at the gym. Research them online too. Food is by far the most intense drug that we have available to us. Let's begin using it to our advantage!

I will lead by example and let you know what I will be working on for the next two weeks (to begin with). I feel better than I ever have seeing as how I have been CrossFitting for almost two years and have been Zoning for about a year. But I have a weakness... crackers! Chips too! Putting health reasons aside, I honestly think I could eat nothing but chips and salsa for the rest of my life and be totally content. But these are so bad for you! You'll have to ask if you want to know why (and it's not just the saturated fat...not at all!) So starting right now I am cleaning out my kitchen of the only crackers/chips I have left...











So, I challenge you to do the same. Not tomorrow or Feb 1st, right now! Feel free to post in the comments about what you did to immediately start eating better; I would love to hear it!

2 comments:

Chubbs said...

Proper nutrition is always the hardest part. But, it really is never apparent how much of a difference it makes until comparisons can be made before and after the right changes are made. I am willing to do the "hard routine" of zone/paleo and eating right! sub 4:00 Fran, here I come!

Spokane Razorbacks said...

Nice action shot